SAYL 2nd Grade Reading Buddy Program
Our 2nd Grade Reading Buddy program is an early intervention program focused on promoting the literacy skills of elementary school-aged children who are at-risk of school failure due to poor reading skills.
We train adult volunteers to become SAYL Reading Buddies. Our volunteers tutor students in over 65 elementary schools and program sites throughout San Antonio. Our curriculum focuses on strengthening and improving the literacy skills of students who are reading below their appropriate grade level.
Want to Become a SAYL Reading Buddy? Check out our Volunteer With SAYL page for all the details about becoming a Reading Buddy, and sign-up for a training today!
Corporate Reading Buddy Partnership
One of the ways that we are able to meet the need of the San Antonio community is by partnering with civic minded business and corporations. In 2011, SAYL started our Corporate Reading Buddy Program in which employers allow for their employees to volunteer one hour a week at an elementary school in close proximity to the office. Through this partnership, SAYL is able to provide Reading Buddies at harder to reach elementary schools, thus helping to ensure that every 2nd grade student in San Antonio who needs a Reading Buddy is matched with one!
Why Partner With SAYL:
- Provides corporate volunteers the opportunity to engage in a one-on-one tutoring program
- Reading Buddies are required to give just one hour per week during the school day for school year
- Multiple school locations to choose from – currently we serve over 65 schools in 5 school districts
- Make a difference in a child’s life!
What SAYL Will Provide:
- In-office training
- Manages the reading curriculum and all Reading Buddy sites
- Provides all books and materials
- Completes pre and post assessments for program students
- Conducts monthly site visits to maintain quality of program
- Share data that shows your time & commitment yield success!